Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wearing my beautiful girl (and her big sister, too)

I have decided to write a bit about my experience with wearing my children, mainly my daughters since I didn't discover the great carriers till then.

I hope to put a picture or two of me wearing my kids, but right now I don't have any on this computer, and I feel I should write right now.

When Zach was tiny, someone gave me a snugli or some similar front pack. He liked it much more than a stroller, but it was not extremely comfortable for me, and I gave it up before he was one. Choosing instead to carry him in my arms or hope he would accept the stroller when we were out and walking.

Then I came across a ring sling at the D.I. (Deseret Industries), and decided to try that out. I didn't have a clue how to adjust it or get him in there comfortably. I didn't use it much. It was winter, Zach was a year old, and there was not much time we were out for very long.

Around this time, I had a visiting teacher who wore her little boy in a wrap all over the place. She did not know a ton about how to do it, but I know from what she said someone was giving her pointers. She also looked at how to do back carries and just figured it out. I remember her figuring out how to get her son off her back somewhere other than at home in my living room on my couch. I thought that must be comfortable, and sometime after that started looking at websites for how to make and use different carriers.

When Zina was tiny, I read how and made a pouch sling from a tight old t-shirt. She love to be in it looking out at the world. She looked like a little kangaroo joey looking out like that. And I loved it till she got a bit heavier and the stretch of the t-shirt pouch put her farther away from my body than was comfortable.

Then I learned how to make and use a wrap. I practiced in front of my husband putting Zina on my front mainly for a long time. I felt so great being able to wear her and chase my son. Plus, I only had a single stroller, and my son turned 2 just after Zina was born. I loved my wrap and ventured to put her on my back. She loved it! It was so comfortable for both of us. I remember spring of 2009 wearing her in my homemade wrap on my back and letting her eat off my plate. She felt secure, and I didn't have to worry about her falling off the bench (we were in a school cafeteria). Some people thought it was wierd, but she was safe.

This last summer I attended the International Babywearing Conference in Rigby, Idaho. I was 30-some weeks pregnant and feeling huge. I brought my 2 1/2 year old Zina and decided to try one of the carriers from the lending library. I tried a Baby So Smart mei tai, and LOVED it. I hadn't worn Zina much lately because she wanted up and down so much, and that was a lot of tying and untying the entire wrap. She loved the mei tai, but wanted up and down a lot, too. It was easier for me to do the up and down with it. And I hardly felt like I was carrying her that way. I was sold on mei tais!

Now, with Eliza, I made a pouch sling that I really like for more short term wearing. She is about 12 lbs, and that feels better on both shoulders. I also use my wrap, but it is not my favorite. I bought a mei tai like the one I borrowed from the lending library this summer and am loving wearing Eliza. At 2 months, I am working on getting her on to my back by myself so I can do everything I need to do truly hands free. I wear her on my front quite a bit. We go for walks. At under 1 month I discovered how to nurse her in the wrap. And just this last week I figured out how to nurse completely hands free in the mei tai while walking through wal-mart and not flashing any breast while I was at it. That was amazing to me. How else would I be able to take both my new baby and toddler to a crowded store and meet all their needs? How else would I be able to exercise and chase the other two so easily?

I am so thankful to those that have taught me to wear my babies. I am grateful that I am not the only one that feels the need to keep their child near and still be able to do day to day things. I know that not everyone will choose this way of parenting. But this needs to be able to be a choice for others.

For more information on babywearing and others experiences, please visit here and here. If you want to share your babywearing story, post a blog and link it to these two sites. It may inspire others. And at "Adventures in Babywearing", there is a giveaway for one of those that links there story.

*Edited to add: Also share it at Wrapsody to win a microfleece wrap. I would have posted this without the chance of a giveaway, but with it makes it even better!

3 comments:

  1. I would love to attend a babywearing conference some day. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the conference in Chicago in '08. Loved it! Hope to go again!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby so smart is one carrier that I've seen and have never used. I would love to get my hands on one...

    ReplyDelete